Your love is a strong, muscular body organ situated contempt to the left of your chest. It pumps blood come all components of the body with a network that blood vessels by consistently expanding and also contracting. On average, her heart will certainly beat 100,000 times and pump around 2,000 gallons the blood every day.
You are watching: Which of these vessels receives blood during ventricular systole
The love is separated into a right and also left side, separated by a septum. Each side has actually an atrium (which obtain blood together it enters) and a ventricle (from i m sorry blood is pumped out). The heart has a full of 4 chambers: right atrium, right ventricle, left atrium and also left ventricle.
The best side that the heart collects oxygen-depleted blood and also pumps it come the lungs, through the pulmonary arteries, so that the lungs can refresh the blood through a new supply the oxygen.
The left side of the heart receives oxygen-rich blood indigenous the lungs, then pumps blood out to the rest of the body"s tissues, with the aorta.
Valves keep direction the blood flow
As the love pumps blood, a collection of valves open and close tightly. These valves ensure that blood operation in only one direction, staying clear of backflow.The tricuspid valve is situated in between the right atrium and right ventricle.The pulmonary valve is in between the ideal ventricle and also the pulmonary artery.The mitral valve is in between the left atrium and left ventricle.The aortic valve is in between the left ventricle and the aorta.
Each heart valve, other than for the mitral valve, has three flaps (leaflets) that open and close like gateways on a fence. The mitral valve has actually two valve leaflets.
The circulatory system
While the heart and also lungs space the biggest organs of the circulatory system, the blood vessels are the longest. This prolonged network the stretchy pipe circulates blood throughout the body. To adjust end-to-end, her body"s blood vessels would certainly extend about 60,000 miles. That"s more than 21 road trips between brand-new York and Los Angeles!
Arteries (along with smaller arterioles and microscopic capillaries) convey oxygen- and nutrient-rich blood come the body"s tissues. In turn, veins lug nutrient-depleted blood ago to the heart. Along the way, blood is routed v the kidneys and liver, together well, filtering waste assets from the blood.
Electrical impulses save the beat
The heart"s four chambers pump in an organized manner through the help of electric impulses the originate in the sinoatrial node (also called the "SA node"). Located on the wall surface of the ideal atrium, this little cluster of specialized cells is the heart"s natural pacemaker, initiating electrical impulses in ~ a typical rate.
The advertise spreads with the walls of the right and left atria, bring about them come contract, forcing blood right into the ventricles. The impulse then reaches the atrioventricular (AV) node, which acts as an electrical bridge because that impulses to travel from the atria to the ventricles. Native there, a pathway of fibers (the HIS-Purkinje network) tote the impulse right into the ventricles, which contract and force blood the end of the heart.
Heart anatomy: through the numbers
1. Premium vena cava: receives blood indigenous the upper body; delivers blood right into the best atrium.
2. Worse vena cava: receive blood from the reduced extremities, pelvis and also abdomen, and delivers blood into the ideal atrium.
3. Ideal atrium: receive blood return to the love from the superior and inferior vena cava; transmits blood to the best ventricle, i m sorry pumps blood to the lungs because that oxygenation.
4. Tricuspid valve: permits blood to pass from the appropriate atrium to the ideal ventricle; avoids blood native flowing ago into the best atrium as the heart pumps (systole).
5. Ideal ventricle: receives blood indigenous the ideal atrium; pumps blood right into the pulmonary artery.
6. Pulmonary valve: permits blood to pass right into the pulmonary arteries; prevents blood from flowing back into the right ventricle.
7. Pulmonary arteries: bring oxygen-depleted blood from the love to the lungs.
8. Pulmonary veins: provide oxygen-rich blood native the lung to the left atrium of the heart.
9. Left atrium: receive blood returning to the love from the pulmonary veins.
10. Mitral valve: enables blood to flow into the left ventricle; prevents blood native flowing back into the left atrium.
11. Left ventricle: receives oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium and pumps blood into the aorta.
See more: Which Of These Is Considered The Strongest Cryptographic Transport Protocol?
12. Aortic valve: enables blood to pass from the left ventricle to the aorta; avoids backflow the blood into the left ventricle.